Tuesday, July 3, 2012

For a Happy, Healthy 4th of July!


The 4th of July has completely caught me by surprise this year -- wasn't it just May?!  But then I came across this RD-authored article about choosing a better frank for the fourth.  So my mind turned to planning my own menu for the 4th, then sharing some of my favorites with y'all.  


I've yet to convince my own brother of this, but literally everyone else I make my turkey burgers for professes a surprised love for them.  I had made Weight Watchers' Greek Cheeseburgers before (also delicious) and tweaked the recipe for a pretty great turkey burger standard.  


Yeogoe Turkey Burgers
Ingredients:
- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey (turkey breast if you can find it!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajon Seasoning (lite and salt-free available)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (FYI, sea salt does not have less sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or equivalent jarred minced garlic, garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup uncooked onion, chopped (I use 1/2 teaspoon onion powder)
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns 
(I always choose Healthy Life's buns, but might have to try the new Thins this year!)

Instructions:
Combine ground turkey with the next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties (I usually eyeball this, but my mother-in-law uses a measuring cup to ensure each patty is the right size.  For a 4-ounce patty you would need to use a 1/2 cup for the appropriate portion).  Throughout the year, I use my grill pan on the stove and cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side.  Most of y'all will probably be grilling outside, but either way -- cook the burgers thoroughly.  

Turkey and other poultry should be cooked to 165° F (if y'all have access to a meat thermometer) or until there is no pink left inside, though this is not fool-proof (official recommendation: invest in and use a food thermometer!).  If you use this same recipe with beef, the rules are to cook to 160° F.  

Y'all are welcome to add cheese, but I promise there is enough flavor in these to skip it this time.  If you choose to add cheese, do yourself a favor and go with a reduced fat option ("part-skim," "made with 2% milk") to cut overall calories and saturated fat intake this holiday.  Other tips for cutting corners and not taste: use fresh tomato slices instead of ketchup (which is packed with sugar and sodium, a slice or two of avocado instead of regular mayo, or salsa or hot sauce for more flavor with less added sugar/salt.  Joy Bauer, the RD many of you may be familiar with from The Today Show has many great suggestions and tips for some of your favorite condiments!

Lastly, don't forget that beverages will contribute to your overall calorie count, too.  Drink water to stay hydrated, but also between alcoholic or sugar-sweetened beverages to balance it all out!

I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday tomorrow.  Thanks to all of y'all for reading and, as always, please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.  Also, share your yummy 4th of July menus with me -- on Facebook or Twitter: (@yeogoe).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to bring up any questions or concerns, but keep it classy y'all!